Articles contain affiliate links. For more information on affiliate links, click here
Who You’ll Hear
Kati Kleber, MSN RN– Nurse educator, former cardiac med-surg/stepdown and neurocritical care nurse, author, and speaker.
What You’ll Learn:
Irnise Williams is a nurse as well as an attorney.
- You can find her courses at Irnisewilliams.com as well as on several social media platforms.
- Began in the OR at Johns Hopkins. Went to pre-op PACU.
- She saw the impact of policies, and limitations on nurses, so she went to law school.
- She decided to move into law practice as the pandemic changed the medical community.
- What happens after someone is named in a lawsuit?
- The lawyers are going to name everyone involved with the person filing suit. It doesn’t mean that you are guilty or have done anything wrong, it is just part of the process.
- Should I have malpractice insurance? How does it actually help me?
- All of the courses on irnisewiliams.com are for questions like this.
- To help you learn how to navigate through these situations.
- You have to fully understand the process, so you can make good decisions.
- There are many ways to find a solution. Don’t let other people make decisions for you. You should understand what is happening, and think for yourself to make your own decision.
- The likelihood of you being named in a lawsuit or losing your license is very low.
- The fear is what keeps us from making our profession better.
- Don’t allow fear to control your career.
- Change happens through taking many steps. Nurses have to use every opportunity and every layer.
- Working at different hospitals and getting certifications will help you to learn the standard of care.
- Sometimes change can come from having one conversation.
- Leadership doesn’t always know what’s working and what needs to change.
- Providing feedback to them is invaluable.
- Small changes are just as impactful as the big ones.
- Small changes impact our patients and ourselves the most.
- Irnise has courses that will help you understand what needs to be documented.
- Don’t take the words of others as the law of the land. Some who aren’t at the bedside, or just want to talk, you will find yourself in a place of defeat. Don’t lose the ability to make long-term changes.
- Everything that we do needs to come from why we do what we do. We all experience the same things.
- Nursing is an influential profession.
- We have to see our power as more than what we do and how can we impact our world with our power?
- There are so many expanding positions for nurses. If you get an opportunity that reflects what you desire, take it!
- There is power in learning and perfecting your skill.
- Don’t ever think that you have to leave the profession. Look at new and different ways you can use your license.
- We will be out of this longer than we will be in it.