Your first year as a registered nurse is challenging. This podcast is hosted by experienced nurses from FreshRN.com, who discuss the basics of that first year. From orientation, code blues, tricks of the trade, and personal experiences, to time management, delegation, patient deaths, and more.
Please note, while patient experiences are discussed, their identifying details have been changed to protect their privacy and uphold HIPAA.
A special thanks to Kiernan McMahon, our sound engineer who handles the technical side of the podcast and also offers a non-nursing perspective once in a while! You can learn more about him here.
What Subscribers are Saying!
Meet Your Podcast Host!
Kati Kleber, MSN RN
Kati is the nurse educator behind the FreshRN® platform. She has been a nurse since 2010 with experience in cardiac med-surg, stepdown, and neurocritical care. She is a national speaker, published author, and recipient of the 2015 Nurse of Year Award from the Charlotte Business Journal.
Seasons and Episodes
Click on the episode to get show notes and listen directly in your browser.
- What to Expect During Your New Graduate Nursing Orientation
- Central Venous Catheters 101
- What to do During a Code
- Work-Life Balance
- Working With Physicians
- Delegation for New Nurses
- If it Wasn’t Documented, It Wasn’t Done
- Dealing with Difficult Patients and Families
- Patient Deaths
- Time Management
- Neuro Nurse Tips Part 1
- Neuro Nurse Tips Part 2
- Neuro Nurse Tips Part 3
- Tips for New Grads in the ICU
- Pain Management Tips
- Nurses Make Mistakes
- Tips for New Grad Nurses on Resumes, Applications, and Interviews
- Dealing with a Negative Unit Culture, Nurse Bullies, and Confrontation
- Code STEMI, Code Stroke, Code Sepsis
- Tips for Working Night Shift
- Patients we will Never Forget
- Tips for Cardiac Nurses
- Nursing Certifications- The What, Why, How, and When
- What Nurses Need to Know About Sepsis
- All About Respiratory
- Understanding Nursing Leadership
- What Nurses Need to Know About Palliative Care
- How to Navigate Nursing Conferences
- Intensive Care Devices: Part 1
- Intensive Care Devices: Part 2
- How to Deal With Family Members (who are not mad at you)
- Nursing Considerations with Brain Death and Organ Procurement
- Nursing Considerations for Organ Procurement
- Tips for Floating to Another Unit
- What Nursing Teamwork Practically Looks Like at the Bedside
- All Things Urinary Catheters
- Talking to Unconscious Patients
- How to Trust Your Nursing Judgment
Coronavirus Bonus Episodes
- Nurses and the Coronavirus: Background, Boundaries, and Fear
- Nurses and the Coronavirus: Coping With Fear
- Nurses and the Coronavirus: Current PPE Recommendations Dissected
- When Nurses Should Call the Rapid Response Team
- Back to Nursing Basics
- Tips for New Nurse Preceptors
- Tips for New Charge Nurses
- Unwritten Rules of Nursing
- Proactively Preventing Nurse Burnout
- Nursing Interview Questions: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- The Unspoken Nursing Hierarchy and Why It’s Garbage
- What Does a High Performing New Grad Look Like?
- When You Don’t Land Your Dream Job
- How to Prepare for Your First Shift
- I Finally Know What I Am Doing – Now What?
- Is Nursing Sustainable?
- How I Got Started in Nursing
- Patient Pathways – Trauma Patient
- Patient Pathways – OMFS
- Patient Pathways – Whipple
- Communication Tips – Your Nursing Team
- Communication Tips – Other Members of the Healthcare Team
- Communication Tips – Patients and Their Support Systems
- Communication Tips – Difficult Conversations
- Communication Tips-Your Loved Ones
- Exploring Publication Bias
Nursing Shortage Bonus Episode
- How to Study for the CCRN [Critical Care Certification Exam]
- Surviving Your First Code Blue – Interview with Will Kelly, MSN FNP-C
- Deep Dive: RaDonda Vaught Trial, Charges, and Timeline
- RaDonda Vaught Trial – Part 2, Interview with Lorie Brown, RN MN JD
- Common Questions about Malpractice Insurance for Nurses
- What’s an Awake and Walking ICU? An Interview with Kali Dayton, DNP AGACNP
- My Thoughts on Nurses Week and Reaction to Amber Heard’s Private Nurse’s Testimony
- Should I Work in the ICU as a New Grad?
- Are Digital Stethoscopes Worth The Money?
- How to Take Charge of Your Nursing Career
- Why I Hate “Fake it Til You Make it”