Who You’ll Hear
Kati Kleber, MSN RN – Nurse educator, former cardiac med-surg/stepdown and neurocritical care nurse, author, and speaker.
Melissa Stafford, BSN RN CCRN SCRN – highly experienced and currently practicing nationally certified neurocritical care nurse.
You're a Great Nurse!
Join a community of nurses who will make you feel like the rock start care giver you are!
Elizabeth Mills, BSN RN CCRN – highly experienced neurocritical care nurse, current Stroke Navigator for a Primary Stroke Center.
What You’ll Learn
- Perfect, no typographical errors
- Don’t put all of your clinical experience
- Put things that are relevant to this job
- Put people other than your clinical instructors; nurses on the unit, MD’s, manager
- Get a team of cheerleaders – people who will vouch for you
- Networking begins in nursing school
- Make a good impression EVERYWHERE
- Don’t think only clinical people can write resumes
- Volunteers, administrators, administrative assistants, leadership
- Don’t wait until graduation to apply
- Do this way before graduation
- Look at the websites of prospective facilities
- HR departments are slow
- Give it a few weeks before calling about the status of an application
- Many won’t even let you call them; they just update online portals
- Video interview tips
- Don’t look at the floor
- Look at what’s behind you – remember they are seeing that!
- Don’t wait until the last day
- First impression begins with scheduling the interview
- Don’t be difficult to schedule because it looks bad
- Look up information on the facility, work into the conversation
- Questions beforehand
- Go over them at home, with others – even if it looks silly!
- Strike the balance between confident and cocky
- Handwritten thank you note post-interview – looks awesome
- Make sure you’re speaking positively about yourself and not negatively about others to make yourself to look good
- Dress appropriately for the interview. Check out What to Wear to a Nursing Interview (2022 Guide) for tips
- Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job by Beth Hawks, MSN RN-BC
- Nursing Interview Questions and Answers – FreshRN blog
- Uncensored Thoughts of a Nurse Interviewer: From Inside the Interview Room – Nurse Code blog
- When you Don’t Land Your Dream Job