This podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, PlayerFM, iHeartRadio, Libsyn, Spotify, and Amazon Music.
Articles contain affiliate links. For more information on affiliate links, click here
Want to Connect With Other Nurses?
Our non-Facebook community is just what you need.
Who You’ll Hear
Kati Kleber, MSN RN – Nurse educator, former cardiac med-surg/stepdown and neurocritical care nurse, author, and speaker.
What You’ll Learn
- Give grace
- Expect missteps
- A day in the life
Communication Tips – Your Loved Ones Show Notes
- You’re about to have a lifestyle change – you’ll need some grace
- Night before, night of work you’ll be DEAD
- Plan for shifts and allow time to recover/reflect/learn – don’t do stuff before or after a shift – laundry and things, don’t expect to have energy to get up before work or stay up late after
- Expect messy missteps
- Be quick to apologize and own your part of miscommunications
- Spend a little time walking through a day in the life so they truly understand what is being asked of you
- People who are not nurses do not truly understand what a difficult day is like as a nurse. They often equate a difficult day to their frame of reference, which may be challenging but it’s not likely on the level that you’re dealing with
- Get a pre/post shift routine established
- Include a way for you to personally debrief
- Talk about your day but don’t let it over take you
- Nursing is what you do, it’s not everything about you – these boundaries are really important to cultivate
- Communicate expectations, how you support one another
More Resources for Communication Tips – Your Loved Ones
- Email list sign up
- New Nurse Master Class – Fresh RN Courses
- Communication Tips – Difficult Conversations
Leave a Reply