The audio for this podcast did not turn out well. Instead, we have a video of the episode.
This podcast is available on iTunes, iHeartRadio, Spotify, and Google Play
Articles contain affiliate links. For more information on affiliate links, click here.
Who You’ll Hear
Kati Kleber, MSN RN CCRN-K – Nurse educator, former cardiac med-surg/stepdown and neurocritical care nurse, author, speaker
Are you ready to feel confident as a nurse?
FreshRN VIP is packed full of tools and peers to help you ditch that imposter syndrome.
Brittney Wilson, BSN, RN, a bachelors-prepared registered nurse, is the founder and owner of The Nerdy Nurse, LLC, and TheNerdyNurse.com.
What You’ll Learn
- Common Mistakes Made as a Preceptee
- How to undo being overly confident
- Nursing is a team sport
- What teamwork really means
S6E58: Mistakes We Made Being Precepted Show Notes
- Mistakes made as a preceptee
- My job is not to show all I know
- Self pressure to perform perfectly the first time
- It is a learning process not a performance
- Nursing school teaches you to be overly confident
- They tell you from day one that 1 out of 3 won’t make it
- You do not have to be perfect, you are still learning
- Come in hot and overly competent
- Can you correct that?
- Many try and act overly competent, like you belong there, but it can alienate coworkers
- Your skills will catch up to your confidence
- Admit you were wrong or that you don’t know something
- Be aware of how often you are correcting a new nurse
- Are you correcting policies or just your preference?
- Every nurse thinks their way is the best way
- Nursing is a team sport
- Building good rapport is important
- Working with different personalities can be challenging
- There is no one teaching you to get along
- View shifts as working together and a team, everything gets done and flows
- What does teamwork really mean?
- Relying on each other
- A good preceptor is key
- Hit the ground running
- What is a good relationship between a preceptor and preceptee?
- Won’t make you feel like a nuisance
- Don’t pretend like everything is fine
- Learn personalities and work with your strengths
- What makes a good preceptor?
- A good teacher or mentor
- Some bad preceptors teach the way they were taught
- They may not realize what they are doing
- The things you do for one preceptee with impact every patient they encounter
Mistakes We Made Being Precepted Video
More Resources for Preceptors:
- S4E37: What Nursing Teamwork Practically Looks Like At the Bedside
- Becoming An Awesome Nursing Preceptor
- S5E43 – Tips for New Nurse Preceptors
So… You Want to be a Great Preceptor?
Preceptor Pro from FreshRN® is your one-stop ultimate resource and online course, crafted specifically for both seasoned and brand new preceptors. If you want to get ahead of the game, learn how to start off on the right foot, have the right mindset and so much more – this is the course for you.
Leave a Reply